Thursday, March 1, 2007

Thursday, March 1, 2007 - CAT Scan day

Dear Thursday Blog,

Well, I guess I haven't been here for a few days... funny that, huh? And now I'm trying to remember what all I've accomplished or done over the last couple of days, but of course my mind is blank! :)

I do know that last night (Wed) I went out for dinner with 3 co-workers.. well, co-workers that all used to work together but now work for different areas in the government. We try to get together every couple of months and lately, it's been every couple of weeks (grin). It's great! We have so many laughs... and just when we think we've used up all the laughter we find something else to laugh at. Too bad I can't imbed a sound file in here... there's this ringtone sound clip that has us in stitches whenever we think of it! Anywho, the four of us went just down the street from my place to Milestones for dinner and had a wonderful time... one that we will repeat again ;)

Today (Thurs), I went to the Cancer Agency this morning to have a CAT scan done. This will be the "base" scan. From what I understand, over the course of the treatments I will be monitored with CAT scans and chest xrays. The reason being... if the cancer was to reappear, it would either recur where it originated, in the large intestine OR if it were to spread and start somewhere else, the two common areas are in the lung or the liver. Also, Dr. Brown had put clips in the abdominal wall where the tumour/abscess was attached, and that is where they will be focusing the radiation. So this base CAT scan will be used for a few reasons... and for a comparison for every future CAT scan.

It was great! Because of the snow we had last night/this morning, it was not busy at the CT Scan department. I got there early because I am always leary about what the parking will be like. No problem with parking in the parkade and no backlog of appts. There was one gal ahead of me and she was in getting her scan while the nurse was putting the IV in my arm for the scan dye. They can't use the PortaCath for dye... and I don't really think the PortaCath is quite ready to be used yet anyways (I still have the 8 staples holding the incision closed and there is still sufficient bruising, although it is starting to go away now). Hehehe... the nurse had to wrap my arm in a heating pad to coax the veins to the surface. She did manage to get one finally, so once the IV was in, I went in to have the scan done. That only took about 5 minutes, then they took the IV out and I was able to leave.

So... looking at my handy dandy date book, my next medical appt. is not until Monday... when I get to pop in to see my GP, Dr. Fay, who will take these 8 staples out. I'll be glad to get them out because I think they are ready :)

Oh, and I heard from my friend, Bonnie K. who lives in the Seattle area! We have been online friends for, gee, 4 years maybe?? Anywho, she is going to come up to Vancouver March 12-14th so we can hang out and catch up in person!! How fun is that??? And she is going to show me how to do some scrapbooking... both digital (on the computer) and the manual way... which means (grin) we are going to have to go SHOPPING!! How sad!! (NOT!) (grin)

I just have to jot down this Question/Answer part of an interview of Ellen Degeneres. I really admire that lady... her humour cracks me right up and, even more important, I like how she is just a really together lady who is so positive. Her outlook on life is fantastic and I never could quite pinpoint what it is that I admired so much, but it is how she views her life and life in general (and it doesn't hurt that she is a serial animal lover!) Anyone who is an animal lover has major brownie points in my books!! :)

Anywho, I just loved her answer to this question and it's how I try to see/live my life... but it's still a work in progress for me. The interviewer was talking to her about her hosting the Oscars. This interview took place before the Oscars, so the event had not happened yet. Here's one of the questions:

Question: Any good luck charm?

Answer: No, my good luck charm is my gratitude. Every night I go to sleep and I'm grateful for my life, and I wake up and I feel the same thing. I just accept everything as it is -- whatever happens is what I'm supposed to deal with.

What a wonderful attitude! To be grateful for everything in your life (which I feel I am) and when things are thrown at you that you weren't expecting, or that are challenging, then know in your heart it is being handed to you and you know you are suppose to deal with it.. it's all part of the experience of your life.

So, on that note, I will sign off. Tomorrow I will tackle another small corner of my apartment. Hahaha... I'm trying to get into "Spring Cleaning" mode but it's too overwhelming to think of doing the whole apartment... so I'm doing a corner at a time, a small area at a time and by the time Spring rolls around, I may actually have a good start on it!! LOL!!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for posting that Ellen comment, it does make me think - I don't think I express enough gratitude, lately I've had this 'why me' attitude and it's crazy!

Glad the cat scan went well, and I can't wait to see you in a week!!!!

Oh, and Milestones is my favorite resturant, they closed the one here near me and it about broke my heart. So I'm hoping we'll at least have one meal there when I'm visiting!