Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday, January 12, 2008 -- Low Energy Report

Hiya Bloggy,

This will be a quick entry since I don't really have too much to report on this one and I haven't taken any new pictures :)

This is, I guess, the end of my first week here... well, first week and a day or two. The beginning of the week was jam-packed with catching up with friends, the beach, the walks to/from the beach, etc. and before you knew it, I was really tired. At home, I know that I plan appts./lunches, etc. in the early afternoon or earlier because it usually takes me most of the morning just to get up and get the joints working, etc. I have no idea why I thought it would be any different here. I guess I just figured that since it was warmer here that my body would adapt faster and be ready and raring to go in the morning.

Duh! Not true! I have found that the walk to the beach from the hotel (3-4 blocks) is doable in the late morning, but very slowly. Then, after spending the afternoon at the beach, even though I spend it under the shade of a beach umbrella, I have no energy left in the late afternoon so it is a real challenge to walk the 3-4 blocks back to the hotel. There is no bus that goes back to the hotel, short of me walking through the International Market place and down a block... by which time I would be only short 1 block to the hotel. But, by the time I walk back to the hotel, I am so hot and so out of energy that doing anything in the evening is pretty much impossible. Weird, huh?? Here I was so sure that when I got here, I would be totally back to my old self once I felt the warm weather. Boy, have I ever been in for a rude awakening!

Anywho... I have send a quick email to my oncologist (Sharlene Gill) just to get verification that what I am experiencing is totally normal and to be expected. I'm pretty sure it is, but I just want to hear it from her... and I guess I will have to rethink my plans for this trip (IE: a day at the beach, then a day here at the hotel by the small pool... or it may even be a day at the beach and then 2 days at the hotel).

I do feel better this evening, so I do know that if I don't over exert myself (and at this speed, walking 3-4 blocks to the beach and then back is considered over-exerting myself), then I can handle it. But when I overdo it, then all I can do is nap... I can't even get the energy to eat! Go figure??

But, since I am rested now, I am planning on going to the beach tomorrow :)



1 comment:

Deb said...

Hey Cheryl. I am so glad to see that you were able to make it to your beloved Hawaii this year. I wasnt sure when you were off on your trip. Take care sweet lady and get lots of rest by the fantastic ocean!

Miss you! DebC